Message by Dr. David Drake
Series: “Inside / Out”
Living Today the Life of Jesus
A Study Through The Sermon On The Mount
Our Ultimate Choice
Matthew 7:24-29 (NASB)
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.
25 “And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.
26 “Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.
27 “The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”
28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching;
29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.
In their book, “How To Make The Right Decisions,”
John Arnold and Bert Tompkins relate seven (7) points
in achieving good decision making.
One of their points was …
You base a good decision on the adequate amount of information.
Notice Jesus ends His sermon on the mountain
with the word … Therefore.
He states that pointing back to everything
He has just preached to the people.
Our ultimate choice is based on
the solid adequate information we have heard from Him.
I. The Similarities / Comparisons In His Invitation
1. Foundations are presented in both cases
2. Instructions have been given in both cases
3. Everyone has an opportunity to hear and respond
4. Storms in life come equally upon all people
II. The Contrasts In His Invitation
Responses are different in both cases ( acts upon them / does not act upon them)
Wise man vs. Foolish man
Foundation of rock vs. Foundation of sand
Outcomes are different in both cases (did not fall / it’s fall was great)
QUESTION … Why do people respond to their destruction?
1. They trust in “idle words” of men … Matthew 7:21
(it is fully embracing terminology)
2. They trust in “religious” activity … Matthew 7:22
(it is fully engaging in pious acts)
3. They do not trust in Christ alone … Matthew 7:23
1. Every choice you make is your “testimony”
2. Every chosen foundation will determine your life’s
direction and eternity
3. Every outcome of every person has an effect on the lives of others (vs. 25b, 27b)